Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 2- Brussels (Now with photos!)


All right folks, here are a few pics from yesterday! 

The most beautiful sight I've ever seen in my life. Remember, I was nauseated, jet lagged, hauling a suitcase across cobblestones, and my feet ached.


At the Botanical Gardens, less than a block from my hostel. Beautiful! They're putting on a series of live concerts right now, so every night there's a new artist in the park. Big ones, too, like Arctic Monkeys.

BEAST WARS: Crocodile versus snake!


These poppies were astounding. I had always assumed that Art Deco depictions of poppies were stylized, but coming face to face with these set me straight. These are, first of all, the biggest poppies I have ever seen. They are, second of all, gorgeous and just like artists such as Alphonse Mucha portrayed them in their art.


Look at these crazy little flat pea-pod thingies! I have no idea what they are, but they tickle me.


Le Centre Belgique des Bandes Dessinnees, aka The Center for Belgian Comic strips. Belgium has a far-reaching history of comic strips that goes way beyond TinTin! I was equally fascinated by the center itself, housed in a gorgeous 1903 warehouse designed by Art Nouveau icon Victor Horta.




Porco Rosso: Gentleman adventurer.


Lookit me! I'm a famous cartoonist!


My favorite part of the otherwise racist TinTin comics, his dog Snowy!


Le Centre Belgique des Bandes Dessinnees 


okay, okay, this picture may not look like much. But I swear, it was raining so hard I saw an ark coming down this street a few minutes later. 


That's all for now! The connection at the youth hostel is pretty slow, so I'll upload Day 3's pictures tomorrow from Den Haag, where I'm sure my friends Anne and Anjani have a much better internet connection!

No comments:

Post a Comment