Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 8- A whole lot o' bussin' and Lund, Sweden

It's official! I have met the world's rudest Dutchman, and he begrudgingly drove me to Hamburg from Den Haag. I left Den Haag at 22:00 and arrived in Hamburg around 7:00. I was jostled awake at 2am or thereabouts by German polizei asking for my passport. There's something disconcerting about being woken from a sound sleep to be asked by a German (who resembled Julian Sands, no less) for my papers!

When I got to Hamburg, this little dude was just chilling out, waiting for his bus to Berlin:


Woo! Thankfully my connecting bus to Copenhagen was late, because I had to run all over hill and dale to find a 50 Euro cent piece for the toilets!


Most of these are taken from the bus, so excuse poor quality, but the landscape was too pretty to pass up. This is northern Germany in all its glory!






Kind of stupid of me, but since Denmark shares a land border with Germany, I was surprised when we pulled up to a ferry terminal.


Motherland, here I come!


Trucks lined up to get on the boat.


Auf weidersehen, Germany! At least until a week from now.




... and goddag Denmark!



I had some missed connections, crossed wires, any other cliche you want to throw out there, and after some confusion ended up taking a train from Copenhagen to Malmö, Sweden; and from there to Lund, to meet my friends Emmie and Alex. Here's a little dude I met while waiting for them at the train station! He was very friendly.


Lund University, one of Sweden's most prestigious institutions!


Someone has graffitied "homo erotic" on this statue's crotch. It made me laugh, because I'm twelve.


Graduation day! Despite the absence of the traditional sailor-style hats, this seems to be some kind of celebratory school event. All the ladies were dressed to the nines in this tractor trailer while town locals ogled.


Lund- very pretty! Also very small and walkable.


Alex and Emmie live about 20 minutes outside of Lund in a tiny little village. It's so cute! it helps that with the onset of summer, everything is balmy and light. This picture of their little neighborhood green was taken at 9pm. 


Tomorrow we hit Malmö for some hard-core vegan gluttony! Either I was totally clueless last time I was in Sweden or the vegan lifestyle has exploded in the past seven years, because cities like Malmö, Helsingborg, and Stockholm are overflowing with delicious options for folks like me. I can't wait!

As for tonight, however, there are some kanelbullar in the oven and they're smelling delicious!

Godkväll!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I forgot about the tractor trailer graduates! We saw them all over Helsinki two years ago. Only in Finland they were drunk as well...

    ReplyDelete